Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

You don't know Jack; Now, I do - Sat. June 5th Orientation Meeting

Marchers,
Updates of the course are coming, along with some new checkpoints. These will be used by the support team, as they try and keep a head count, and a hydrated group of young people moving.

I had the pleasure of picking up Addison's Dad in my white pick-up truck, and asending upon the Sam Houston National Forest from the back door of Richards, Texas. We felt comforted by the small, old town feel of Richards, but decided there was not enough room for our Marchers to be picked up, and decided on the parking area about 100 yards south down FSR 219, off of State Highway 149.

Working backwards, we visited Kelly's Pond, and found it to be an excellent camp site, with a commode, trash facilities, picnic tables, and a large open area. The pond was small, but fishable, I think. Stubblefield Recreation Area, was a short distance by car, and had Jack thrown his Fredrickberg peach pit ten times, we might have reached the Stubblefield Area just as quickly- well, sort of.

We decided this would be a good intermediate break point for the lads. The moseys- mosquitios- sharply visited me about ten times as we walked along the foot path of the bridge to pick up the trail again. WEAR DEET, possible a 90 plus factor would be good, but I felt a bit like one the the Blue Bell cows out there in the field , what with the moseys looking like humans and all those people wanting to sample my wares.

Jack was a pleasant guest to have ride along in my dirty old truck. We had a nice visit and I got to hear a few more stories about the Marshall family and the journey they have had so far. He also bought my lunch, and that goes a long way to making me a fast friend. Problem was, he was slower eater then I, and had to answer my questions as he chewed. I eat like I coach, attack, attack, attack. Now, that is my motto.

And Marchers, that better be your motto, as you are running out of time training for this hike. This is not a pick up basketball game where you play for two hours, feel tired but invigorated. This is an exhausting hike on the first day, but one full of pride to have finished it for the day. The second day you will be curing the originator of the march, me, and will keep doing so, until you mind drifts away some time about three hours into the second day's march. The third day you will be curing yourself, and the last day of the hike you will be curing your Folks for having the audacity to let you go on this dangerous, health breaking trek. Cursing them until you see their smiling faces waiting for you at the Pick up Point, FSR 219, cursing yourself, until you see how happy you have made Addison, and how proud you are of yourself you were apart of the group, the team that finished the Marching with Marshall.

Jack, I could not have asked for a better traveling companion. Thanks for navigating; I guess you now feel sorry for my wife. Thanks anyways.

Bring a walking stick, this can help keep you balanced and is useful as a weapon or tool. No, Mom, we will not be playing Little John and Robin in the forest, I just want to keep the snakes at bay.

Train, Men, Train

No comments:

Post a Comment