Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Saturday in the Park

Marchers,
Took the day off on Friday because of these bad pens(legs), only to receive my new lightweight Merrill hiking boots. Nice style, subdued color, medium ankle support= just right. I had bought them along with Kodiack socks, and took a two and a half hour stroll along the levee and into the near by park, for a second dosing of water. Glad I had the water, but felt better after my purchase of the boots and socks; my feet felt less fatigued, and I did not have any hot spots generated on the hike. I would recommend these boots, and the price was not too bad; on sale at The Sportsmen's Guide for about $89, or maybe I used a coupon.

Your training needs to ratchet itself up to make each days hike. I had a bit of a day dream as I took to the by-ways this morning on my hike, and thought to share a dream or two.

What makes old men solemn and young men strive, is the idea of being a man; a person of strength and a physical appetite for the challenge. What men in their twenties through forties have is that strength and an appetite for rough and tumble play. Young men want it, lift weights and take supplements to gain it, while the old men start to slow down and mourn the loss of the physique and the strength.

I am nearing the solemn time of my life, but I have had a greta life. I was raised by a fine family, I joined a military force that required pride and strength, I worked for some fine men and ladies, and I have a wonderful family. I am now a grandfather, and the day will come when I will need a walker, but that time is not know. When these older men come through the time of physical disappointment, they emerge as guides and leaders for others. They become the story teller; the collective wisdom of their time, of their families.

I want Addison to have this same opportunity, I wan him to reach the point where the younger men at the family gatherings, sit around him and listen to his wisdom; to be honored by your own kind. That is my wish. That is why I am marching; that and I need an excuse to do something extreme physical before I have to sit at the center of the fire telling stories. I'm not ready yet, are you? You come too!

"Ready, Mr. Nightlinger?"
"Born ready, Mr. Anderson" The Cowboys- John Wayne (Young men should see this movie)

"Ready, Addison?"
"Born ready, Coach Mac" That is the type of man he is

"You Ready , Marchers?"
"You better be, this ain't no walk in your momma's park, Cowboy: train, train, train!

No comments:

Post a Comment