Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hard, Hot and Heavy: The Hike West and not my hiking boots

Marchers,

I hit the road yesterday with a three minute run, two minute walk rotation, and lightened my pack load to about 18 lbs. I had an appointment, and could only go a bit over an hour, but I enjoyed the moment: the one where I scared the girl sun bathing in her back yard, and the moment where the dog took off the one of the picket of the fence with his head, and I found a bit more speed in my old vascular challenged legs, as I wobbled away.

After my meeting, I put about 40 lbs back in the pack, and hit the street for some cement ground-pounding. I felt it in my feet, and caution you young people to use grass as much as possible in your training. I have not decided what my training to today, but I am thinking about a two hour walk on the levee, with a moderately weighted pack. But the man in me wants to find a hill and charge it, then again I live in Texas...I am safe from myself.

I have posted the course of the march here. It is not too much different then the one we had before, but jack and I have now seen most of the course and are comfortable with the looks on the ground. There will be mid-point breaks on each day's March, but these are being placed into the March for the sake of head counts and water issues.

Here is how the course shakes down:


Starting at Double Lake and the Lone Star Trail Primitive Camp #1, we will step off at 0800, with a mid- point break at Evergreen, the intersection of St. Hwy 150 and FM 945.

Then we will proceed up to Big Woods Hunter Camp for our first Rest Point (the LSHT just graces the southern side of FSR202* and from there , we follow FSR 202 NW for a short distance until we come upon the Big Woods Hunter Camp which will be located on the north side of the road.

Sunday morning we will step off at 0700, and head to Four Notch, near FSR 213 [Four Notch area is directly across from the LSHT Trailhead on Four Notch Road located near the intersection of FSR 213 and Four Notch Road (about 2.3 miles southeast on Four Notch Road from the intersection of FM 2296 and Four Notch Road)]

We will then proceed to Huntsville St. Park, our Rest Point #2, where we will be fed and watered by the Walker County COP, and Amt. Ham Radio Group, arriving about 1700 hours.

Monday morning we will step off at 0700, and head south to the Stubblefield Recreation Area FSR 215, arriving there about 1300-1400 hours, for a mid-point break.

Then we will head south to Kelly's Pond, Rest Point #3 on FSR 271, ETA 1630 hours.

The final leg of the march will begin Tuesday morning at 0700 hours, as we step off in a westerly direction headed towards FSR 219 and the pick up point, covering about 12 miles, ETA 1230 hours.

The course is set, but there may well be a few changes, but they will be post as soon as possible before the March.

For you good people training; happy motoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment