Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Time to Train

As Marshall of the march, I would like to remind interested parties to begin training for this event. For those who have not done this, or trained outside, your conditioning and the heat will be a factor in how well you do, or if you even make it.

This morning, I donned my back pack with about 25 #'s in it, and beat feet for close to six miles in hiking boots. I followed this up with a leisurely walk of three miles in tennis shoes. Tomorrow, when I get up and moving, I plan to ride my bike and preform about five sets of step up on my home-made plyo box. In this way I am developing the quad for the labor of continued walking with my gross, heavy body weight.

Questions are starting to come in about what hygene items to bring. A tooth brush with paste is a must; soap a must; everything else, optional. There was even a comment last night, asking if a person would stink after a couple of days marching through the woods. I can solve that question easily; Heck, yes, you will smell. With this in mind, maybe we should ask the helping Mother to smell our young men on the last day of the march and see who smells the worst, and offer a reward of two deodorant sticks to help out our strong smelling friend.

To solve another hygiene questions: You do not have to take a bath, but you need to keep the areas clean where sweat and dirt gather. If you do not know where this is, hunt for the dark and hairy places, take your bar of soap, lather up, wash, rinse, and repeat if necessary.

To solve a rash question: either wear boxers, no underwear, or wash and change underwear each night. If you need any more information in this area, ask your Dad. Jungle rot, is not the brother of jingle bell rock.

Keep the questions coming. We all need to be prepared. Any former DI's up to the challenge? They do not have to practice anger, just care, which many did and do all the time when training their recruits.

"Forward Hooo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment