Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Go tell it to the Marines!

I did, and they responded with the use of some of their equipment, such as the loaning of their Camel back hydration units. I even went and spoke to the Army, and they responded with the use of a water buffalo and some comm equipment. Next, I need to talk to the Navy, just in case we hit a large creek and need some ships to cross over. Just kidding, these lads can wade anything.

Who are these lads going, you might ask. Why would they go in the heat, and walk roughly twenty miles a day? The answer is simple: they know Marshall; they want to be strong as Marshall. The true is, I want to be as strong as Marshall.

I joined the Marine Corps for a variety of reasons; the main one dealt with me being hard enough to take the training, I guess. It changed me. I changed because I was now to be measured by a different marking, a different measure. I was to be compared to all the other marines who had joined the Corps. There have been ball players, actors, politicians, and garbage men. I met stockbrokers, engineers, and doctors to be. They all had one thing in common: they were men who had joined to see if they had the gear, to be member of, what they are told everyday, "The Finest Fighting Force in the World". It took me many months to agree, but when I did, I bought into the Esprit de Corps. I could now sing, "Eat burnt baby bodies, finger licking good now".

What changed was my way of looking at my world; what changed was the fact, I know I would not leave my comrades, my friends, even if surrounded with no hope to survive. They were Marines, and they would not leave me either.

Addison Marshall represents this type of man. He would not leave you, he would stay by you, even if he was surrounded and there was no hope for survival. He bought inot this without joining the Marines; that is the type of man he is. He is the type of man, who would run a business and give it everything he's got, and ask the same of you. He would lead by example and never give up on the company or his morals.

This walk is not about money, but never giving up; never giving in to a disease that surrounds you with little hope of survival the second time around. Addison has asked for no quarter, and has not sounded retreat. He stands strong, facing his foe, ready for action. I have no ammo to give him, no magic bullets to offer, but my own strength. I stand with him; I will walk with him, and if need be, I will carry him, for he would do the same for me.

He is not a Marine, but if he was, he would carry the type of qualities that would inspire men, the type of leadership that would conqueror our enemies. He is one of the best and brightest; our strength and shield, let us walk a few miles in his steps and stand strong against his enemy, if only for a few days. As Frost says, "You come too".

No comments:

Post a Comment