Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Friday, June 11, 2010

Thank you Huntsville Lion's Club

Marchers,
Saddle up, we're moving out.

Today is pack up and shut up day. For those of us going, we need to be packed up, for those not going, and still are deciding, figure it out.

Jack Marshall and I had a great time in Huntsville as guest of Jason Dyches and the Huntsville Lion's Club. While my poor efforts of thanks came near the end, I made my spiel before Jack made his. My speech forgot a few necessary items, such as the March; day and distance. Jack did not.

Jack spoke as a person who had seen Addison's issues from afar. He spoke of the diagnosis, the fear and strength of Addison's mother, Val, of the Foster football team and the bracelets they sold, of meeting the football coach of Marshall University, of the strength of Addison, himself, as he dealt with this deadly issue. Then he stated his name and his familial connection. He received a standing ovation, and I willingly joined them, on my feet, hands snapping together in support of the father.

My message did not do justice to what I think of Addison, or how I see him; his father had moved the crowd of Lion's. I left the meeting with Jack's words in my ears, and wishing I had told more of my feelings, but as I dwelt on the speech, I got the message in one huge sigh which feed oxygen to my brain; this is not about me; this is about a young man named Addison, whose father spoke of his son with love and emotion. This speech came from a man, who in the early morning hours had given Addison two shots in his thighs, while Addison made plans to go work out with his friends.

So, my friends, I wish you peace this morning and happiness. I am off to do my packing and loading. The men and women who have donated their time and talents to this enterprise, need a big thank you. One is Jerry Krogel of CES fame. He has volunteered his time, to coordinate our ground support; he is our Support Chief, well trained by the U.S. Army, and as intelligent as they come. Alan McGaffin, the local troop leader who is giving of his time and talents, while others of his young charges are putting out and collecting flags this weekend. Drew Chipman, a builder, who, some how, in this poor economy, made time to drive his trailer and support the Marchers for the next three days of the March.

Hats off to the technology fairy, who made time to put forms, maps, information together and even set up the blog site so I can express myself to the five people who read this daily. Thank you.

Last but not least, thank you to Addison Marshall, who has shown me the face of strength and courage, one that I need to take with me and use on my own journey through life.

May our Lord watch over him, and protect him from the wages of this disease. May he grow as strong in body, as he is in mind. May the victory of health, come quickly for him, and allow him to play football, and enjoy his youth. And, most of all, may we one day march together, he and I, for someone else of like qualities, who needs our love and support. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment