Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Friday, June 18, 2010

Superman or just Super Trooper: Krogel

Marchers,
Mrs. Marshall wrote a great blog about her husband, Jack Marshall. I think his value was well mentioned and his talents. I will leave that as his great tribute, and not try and match pens with the fine quality of writing, Mrs. Marshall displays, not to mention the love that shines through her words.

But, I will lay fingers on the keys to mention a friend of mine, who took over the role of XO, and brought intelligence and order to our March. Jerry Krogel is one of the finest products the Army has ever produced, outside of West Point. He is really is West Point material, but the Army made him the youngest helio pilot they have ever had at 17 years of age.

He advised me to walk the whole course, but as I did not have time, I relied on the coordinates taken by someone else, and the maps from the forest service and one by Karen Somers of the Lone Star Hiking Trail. While these were good, they were not eyes on the target, and the lack recon lead to some stressed episodes while on the trial. Jerry never waviered, he took in his role, and tried to work with Jack to make sure the course was set and he could get to us in an emergency. He came prepared to help, and lead, if necessary.

After our first night in open air sleeping, Jerry put up his Taj Mah Hooch tent to give me a better sleeping arrangement, and get my back off the ground. He put almost 500 miles on his Suburban and always had a map or GPS in hand. He made sure the Support Staff was working, putting the camp together and, when a break was mandated, he had the crew there with chairs, and snacks to keep us going.

He regaled us with tales of the Army, humorous quotes, things he had learned. He knows quite a bit about everything, and is a willing learner by listening to others. Thank you Jerry for all your hard work, and joyful attitude while we took your time away form the family, and keep your sweating through the night in the Taj Mah Hooch. PS. I know I have misspelled some words in this blog Jerry, but the message is heartfelt.

Next time you can hit the trail and I can work on support, not as well as you, but with a lot better understanding of my job, thanks to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment