Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Priceless, just priceless

Link to Marching with Marshall Map

Marchers,
We are four days away from the March, and we know very little about who is going. If possible, come to Wednesday's Orientation Meeting in Pitts Road Park at 6:00pm. There is nothing worse then planning for something, and when you get there you find out you cannot go because you are not prepared, or do not have the right forms.

Training has been scarce of late, but it is not the fault of the rain, but the fault of this organizer and trying to get it organized.

I am excited by the prospect of seeing some of my former players, and how much they have changed. I am excited by the challenge of the March, and look forward to seeing how the lads are doing each day on the trail.

Personal Vehicles: If you are going to drive yourself, you will need to bring money to pay for four days at Double lake Rec. Area. If you plan on camping at Double Lake, on Friday night, the reservations are up to you, as is the payment.

If your parents are going to drive you, or you are car-pooling, you will need to be picked up at FSR 219, the terminus of the March on June 15th about 1300 hours.

If you are going to come on a later date then the Step-Off date of June 12th, you may want to think about having someone drop you off, and then coming back for you on June 15th at FSR 219. There is no one around Big Woods Hunter's Camp to watch your car, and you will pay for parking at Huntsville St. Park.

Rides will be at a premium when we reach the end of the March (FSR 219). Please make arrangements in advance to get shuttled back to your car, if you are at Double Lake.

The coast of a football at Wal-Mart this summer is $16.54( Roll Back special); the cost of a physical, if you have insurance, for football will be $20 this summer; the cost of supporting Addison with your sweat soreness, and bites- Priceless!

Gary Joseph is the Katy High School football Head Coach. He was a large reason for the success they had prior to him becoming the head coach. As one of the junior high coaches for Coach Joseph, I had the opportunity to see him in action. Forgive the story teller's liberties, but this is the way I remember that day of Lazarous, as I call it.

I was late coming out of my office, and there was a darkness to the sky, which was a bit more than just twilight. As I left my office, I made my way out to my car, in the shared parking lot with the high school. Next to my car, was a round white object, which caused me to heave a sigh as I thought of one of my students leaving out another one of our sport's balls; I knew I would have to put it up.

The closer I got to the ball and my car, I noticed, there were other colors near it, but the whiteness of the ball kept me mesmerized. As I drew closer, I noticed there were parts, that were not part of my car next to my car, and the white thing moved gentle on it's own. That was when I realized it was a person, a football helmeted person. I moved quickly towards the person, now preparing to give CPR, or whatever First Aide was needed. I put down my bag, my dress clothes, and my shoes, took off my cap, and tried to make some type of communication between the two of us.

"Are you OK?, Do you need help?" These are the things I was asking, as out of a cloud of mist a man made manifest. I was surprised, and a taken back, until the man spoke.

"Hello, Coach McStravick."
"Coach Joseph, I just saw this young man here by my car, I think he is hurt, and I was preparing to start CPR."
"Watch this, Coach McStravick"
"get your @$$ up, get the *&## up, now!"

This pathetic figure- helmeted figure, that had not moved since I had seen him, jumped up and took off like a frightened rabbit, sprinting towards the lighted football field like he had seen the devil.

I could not believe it, I was stunned. It was as if I had seen Lazarus raised form the dead.
"Coach McStravick, you don't need CPR, just some encouragement."
Then this God-like figure disappeared back into the cloud of mist, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I thought as I drove away, walking around my car first to make sure there were no more Lazarus in need of encouragement, I sure do not want to be that kid at practice tonight. Then I thought maybe I do; Coach Joseph thought enough of him, not to run him off, just encourage him.

So in case you Gents need any encouragement to come a marching, and borrowing a line or two from that saintly man, Coach Joseph, "get you @$$ up, get me those papers now, d&^^ it!"

Alright, you have been motivated. See you good people tomorrow at 6:00pm, or 1800 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment