Marching with Marshall

Marching with Marshall
Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Station

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Orientation Meeting: Briscoe Jr. High Saturday, June 5th.

Marchers,
Two days ago, I hit the road with a light pack, and shuffled/walked two hours. Pretty confident in my ability and fitness until a woman, about my age, who I had seen about a mile back, calmly passed me with a smile a I shuffled down the dusty trail. That was when I decided I needed a break, and took off the pack, sat down, and had a nice long drink.

I followed that up with an hour walk, with a heavy weight pack. It is becoming more and more obvious to me, that street walking- not the kind to earn money- is hard on the feet. Take to the byways, bayous and dirt roads to give your "dogs" a break.

Yesterdays training was less intense, but still as frustrating for a competitive male. I practice the weight training with heavy step ups, and plate squats. Then, I hit the dirt trail for an hour jog- more of the shuffling gait- only to be passed twice by the same runner, who kept smiling and nodding, as if to encourage and sympathize with the snail paced path pounder he kept passing.
This was followed by a bike ride at a medium speed to return DVD's I had rented, and get the blood flowing in and out of the quad muscles.

What does your training look like? Let me know by using the "comment" button below and telling me how it is going.

School should be out for most of you young men, therefore, maybe, you have a bit more time to think and reflect on life. While you are doing this, congratulating yourself on your good looking health, take a moment to send a prayer upwards for Addison. A short breathe prayer, such as, "God, watch over Addison today", is a great way to start or end the day.

******Plan on attending the Orientation Meeting at five o'clock at Brisoce Jr. High School, 4300 FM 723, next door to Foster High School. Bring your pack, items you wish to pack, compass and questions for us to answer. We will plan on a stroll in the late day heat, to see how the pack fits you, and how to work your straps.

Also, bring your registration papers and waivers on Saturday to Briscoe Jr. High. I would like to get a head count.

Always train with the goal in mind; get as close to the actual skill/exercise as you can; stay hydrated in this heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment